Virus & spyware information
Viruses, Trojans, Spyware, Malware and Phishing will cause you problems if you use the Internet much. Everyone, at some point, becomes a victim. Modern day computer pest travel in many different ways, email, unpatched exploits, instant messaging programs and from file sharing programs, to name just a few. Although we make every attempt to restrict known virus traffic, we can't stop them all without disrupting legitimate internet traffic. To reduce the chance you'll be a victim, follow a few simple guides:
- Keep you programs updated as much as possible.
- Install the Windows updates and security patches as soon as they become available (XP can be automated )
- Never open an email attachment you are not expecting.
- Get a anti-virus program and keep it updated.
- If you have Windows XP, turn on the firewall feature. If you don't have XP, install a firewall like Zone Alarm .
- A bank, your ISP, E-Bay, etc .. will NEVER send unsolicited email to you requesting you verify your personal or financial information. Never fall for it. If ever in doubt, call them directly.
- If your PC starts acting real slow or strange, get someone to look at it. A PC will never slow down due to it's age. It's the programs installed that cause them to slow down.
- Stay away from unreputable web sites. Site targeted to porn and warez should be avoided.
- Anything you find on the Internet that seems to good to be true, usually is a scam. Don't let yourself be fooled.
- Always close popup windows using the 'x' in the top right, never click on any words that may say, 'Close' or similiar.
- Free Online XBlock's Spyware Scanner/Cleaner
- Free Online Housecall Virus Scanner/Cleaner
- Free Online Symantic's Security Check
- Free RAV Online Virus Scan
- Free Bitdefender Online Virus Scan
- Free Spykiller's Spyware Scan/li>
Software for Spyware
- Microsoft's AntiSpyware (Beta) for XP
- Javacool's Spyware Blaster & Spyware Guard
- Spychecker's HijackThis
- Lavasoft's Ad-Aware
- Scanwith's Pocket Killbox
Software for Virus/Trojans
- Snapfile's Free Firewall Software list
- Comteck's Virus Software links
- Grisoft's free AVG Anti-Virus
- Clamwin's Anitvirus for Windows
- McAfee's Virus Hoaxes
- Dept of Justice Computer Crime Division
- Unwanted Links' Spyware Information
- PC Hell's Spyware/Adware Removal Help
- CEXX's Adware/Spyware Trojan Removal